My Blog List

Sunday 20 March 2011

lagos part 2/3

Now for the 2nd of the series of 3 Lagos flts I had this month.
Once again it was a series of red wines going out like hot cakes. Not so much of pineapple juice this time though. The newest crew member, a girl from Senegal was slightly stuck up and din't take too kindly the advice I gave her to not use bars which are meant to be kept for crew on the return sector. Like the previous flight I gave advice to crew about the hotel, allowance and the buffet which I stuffed myself with. I had  promised the hostess who receives the crew and checks us in, that I would do the briefing on her behalf. So like a pro I did her job and kept my word and was given a round of applause from the hotel staff, with some crew wondering if I sneak there and work part time. LOL. 
I was very tired and passed out, and overslept my supposed to be short nap. Not to mention I was so late I expected all the crew to have had dinner and gone back to their rooms. luckily I did find the first officer, David, Mahmoud, Zach and Soukeyna at one of the dinner tables. The Senegal girl and the first officer took leave no sooner they were done signing for their meals. The remaining 4 of us sat there randomly chatting while they finished their drinks. Zach ended up knocking a glass and shattering it to bits because of his over enthusiastic hand gesture. Finally 3 of us except Mahmoud decided to head out and check out the club across the street. So we made our way after making a few enquiries about the safety, hours of buisness, etc. On our way out we met Aditya, the Indian SFS who had come down for a smoke as all rooms were non-smoking. To our disappointment the club was showing the same soccer match being played at our hotel on big screen with the volume blaring. The highlight was probably a murky looking glass case wit a few inches of equally murky water with a sign saying-"point and we cook fresh catfish for u". This got David a little excited but after the buffet dinner and couple of glasses of wine, he really could only look at the catfish longingly. Exclaiming that he will come have it the next day or next layover he reluctantly followed us out of the place. 
Back at the hotel we bumped into Aditya again who joined us for a drink at the bar. I tried a Nigerian special which was a rather refreshing mocktail. Eventually David and Zach retired for the night and I sat chatting with Aditya about north Indian people in general as he came from Shimla. The bar tender suggested a brandy cocktail which to my disgust was too strongly flavoured with sum sort of spice I couldn't quiet put my finger on. After a few dwindling sips I gave up on trying to finish my drink and decided to go back to my room and chat wit Lionel.
In the room, after setting up the laptop and huddling in bed I realised the main light in the room wasn't working and so it was quiet impossible to be seen on skype. I gathered my quilt and pillows and headed to the bathroom, making myself comfortable in the bath tub. Thankfully the bathroom is well lit with a plug point which can be used for electronics apart from shavers! A few hours passed chatting wit Lionel and a friend, Hitesh. I decided to call it a night and slept almost till it was time to get ready and go on flt. A short chat with lionel before heading off back to flight kept me smiling as always. 
The incoming crew weren't as nice as we were, so we got empty bars which we supposed to be restocked for us. Also alcohol, juices, etc were used from the containers meant to be kept sealed for us. We cursed the crew for being so inconsiderate and thanked our stars the flight had a fairly light load. We finally landed back in Dubai ahead of scheduled arrival time and I hoped my 3rd flt would follow suit as I plan to catch a flight right after to Calicut for the wedding registration work. But I would know only when the day comes. Until then lets get some rest before round 3 of 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment