My Blog List

Saturday 14 May 2011

lagos part 3/3


So Lagos for the third time round and I was a pro telling all the crew about the hotel, the facilities and ofcourse the allowance. At the airport we saw the shocking news about the tsunami hitting Japan and asked after the well being of one of the Japanese crew's family. She paniced slightly as she couldn't reach them while we were on the bus to the hotel. but by the time we reached she has news that they were all safe. I skipped giving the hotel staff's welcome speech/briefing this time and they were quiet upset that they would have to do their job themself this time around.
Before the flight my uncle who happens to be living in Lagos managed to get hold of me so we had plans to meet. However, once in the hotel room, like the previous time I couldn't reach him. But this time I had his wife's number as well so she was the mediator. It was decided that he would come pick me up from the hotel in a few hours and take me to his place where we would do dinner. I was already dressed thinking he would come fetch me right away. But I dozed off while watching the live coverage of the tsunami telecast due to fatigue.
I was pre-warned by my mum that I must take some present for my cousin so I came prepared with a few packs of chocolates. When asked by the SFS how old my couz was, I embarassingly din't have an answer. Now the thing is I havent't been for any family gathering in a really long time as I've been living far from my hometown, so I don't rem how long ago i saw this couz or how old he was then. I just rem him being knee high. So to be safe I got cute gummy bears, some cool soda bottle candy and chocolates and he had to like one of them.
When my uncle finally reached the hotel, I rushed down aftr a quick wash and was driven by his driver, Friday to his apartment which was in the only high rise building I came across so far. We chatted after years and it was so good to catch up. My uncle being a jovial guy played a prank on my aunt sayin we would take long to reach his place when we were just turning into the apartment compound. She was happy to see me and chirped away about how glad she was to have company. She said Lagos was like a golden cage and so lonely. Arjun, my couz was out for his salsa lesson. She questioned me about flying and the job and everything while we waited. Her maid was called Happy and I found that very amusing. She explained that its her english name and her real name was something unprounouncible. Arjun did finally arrive and he was a young sharp boy, just a lil short of shy. Eventually he opened up and showed me his charts and played the keyboard. My uncle told me that a few of his friends would be coming by for dinner and drinks and one of them who lived close to the hotel would drop me back. I dreaded in my mind my uncle offering me a drink. Its like he's family and our culture isn't exactly very open about girls drinking though it happens widely. It was out of respect the thought struck me.
Soon my aunt started getting the starters ready. I was amazed as I saw this thin nigerian woman cook Indian food that my aunt had taught her to make. My aunt had dished out some amazing spring rolls that she made from scratch and my uncle made some dry chicken with a rum flambe which was too amazing not to capture on camera. Slowly the guests arrived and the quick bites disappeared really quick. My uncle did ask me if I'd be drinking any wine to which I politely refused hoping my cheeks weren't colouring up. I had stuffed myself even before the maincourse was served. So after much insistance I ate a tiny dinner much to my aunts dismay coz she had cooked quiet a bit. my uncle's friend chose this moment to express his unhappiness with some crew when he last took an EK flt coz the crew refused to help thsi tiny man put his bag in the overheadbin (which he couldn't quiet reach) saying its not my job to carry bags. Now this guy was really pissed off and said some crew are so rude and racist. He vent out all his frustration about the incident in front of me because I am also crew with EK. After a few uncomfortable moments where I tried to save my airlines reputation saying there is always a bad fish and he must not hold it againt EK. Finaly itt was time to leave, so I said my goodbyes and my uncle's friend and me were walked down to the car. My uncle said it was his last week and Lagos and he was glad he had family visit before he left. It was good to see them to I told him.
On our drive back this friend of my uncle, being about my dad's age decided to give me a lecture of how youngsters these day don't respect the culture or elders...blah blah blah. I wanted to dig a hole and just disappear. I mean we just met and here he was lecturing me. Then he went on to tell me stories about his years spent in Lagos and how unsafe it is. Also how people who come here are destined to return. I breathed a sigh of relief when we approached the road to my hotel. I thanked him for the ride and ran off to my room. Since I got the same room as last time with the nonfunctional overhead light, I huddled up with my quilt in the bath tub yet again for some skype time wit Lionel before going to bed. The next day was lazy as ever with not much on the charts. There was some more online entertainment and socializing before getting ready for flight. And me and another crew volunteered to exchange everyone's currency at the airport for them while they go ahead and get the aircraft ready for boarding. Yet another time I saw two of the officers taking some sort of bribe for letting a man go through customs and another one carry something prohibited in his hand carry. Its scary and I informed crew of the same so atleast now they would be motivated to do thorough security checks preflight. Off to dubai with another lipstick fan and lotsa red wine we went!

No comments:

Post a Comment